Trying to remember the name/author of a book:
- Long book. Many many separate small chapters.
- Scifi about humans, on non-Earth planet. They have poisonous native life, and can only eat a few brought from Earth plants.
- Because of that, they practice cannibalism, to no waste human body proteins. The story opened with consuming a body of someone who recently died.
- It had a pretty complex plot, with politics, war, technology, social structures, etc.
- Social/sexual customs were kind of weird even leaving aside rituals around cannibalism. But it was NOT Heinlein, I'm sure of that :)
I don't know the year it was published, but it was pretty old, I took it around 1993-95 from a library and the physical book looked well-read by that time.