There was this book I read in 2008 - 2009 (series? single novel? not sure). I did not complete it then, so I vaguely remember very few details, please bear with me.
- People seemed to be divided into different races, but these races each inherited some characteristics from different
- I remember one of the protagonists was some girl, with traits of an ant
- The girl might have been a princes of her tribe? (the ant people maybe)
- The setting is in a multicultural society, as in people with different
insectsanimal traits did stay together, as well as sometimes in tribal/coven setup.
- There were different houses, one for each type of people (ant people, mole people? moth people? some with tiger's traits? ...)
- There was a huge city where a group of these people from different races go for some mission (free someone? kill someone? steal from someone?)
- Their first attempt fails and they are all scattered in the giant city
- The girl, with traits of an ant I think, joins a group of assassins/mercenaries, and eventually rises to the top quickly due to already being well trained. She does not reveal her true identity to them, however.
This is all I seem to recall. I tried various combinations here as well as on google, does not seem to give anything relevant. Any help is deeply appreciated!