Starling City in Arrow hasn't had a very good track record over the last couple of years (spoilers from the show):
- A pretty poor economy overall
- Open conflict between multiple gangs
- A wide-spread drug epidemic with Vertigo
- Many high-profile events being violently disrupted by various villains
- Various attacks by meta-humans that the police cannot stop
- "The Undertaking", an artificially generated Earthquake that killed hundreds
- Slade's Mirakuru-enahnced soldiers attacking indiscriminately and the mayor delaying calling in the National Guard
- City-wide attacks from HIVE and Damien Darhk's Ghosts
- The violent deaths of the last two mayoral candidates, plus the following mayoral candidate stepping down after her daughter's life was threatened
- The (presumed) violent deaths of two CEOs (one who was a mayoral candidate) from the city's largest business
- And at various points, a green-clothed vigilante who resorts to killing those who get in his way (sometimes while being framed)
This seems like an incredibly unsafe place to live with all that (including several National Guard-level emergencies). And yet there are a surprising number of people who still live there, and the board members of Queen Consolidated/Palmer Technologies don't consider moving their headquarters.
With all the tragedy that has befallen the city, why do so many people choose to stay?