Reading Dr. Crusher's biography on Memory Alpha, I don't understand how it is exactly that she got to be a Commander. When did she put in the time as an officer in a non-medical capacity, enough to merit this promotion? Or can you advance in rank merely by serving as a Doctor on a ship or in another military installation?
Edit: Let me be more specific.
- 2350: Graduates SF academy (a little pun there).
- 2352: Still a medical intern.
- 2354: Lives at "home", so not on active duty (? Or maybe in SF medical?) - that's where Picard delivers her husband's body.
- 2362: Takes bridge officer test, promoted to Commander.
Did she ever serve on any ship at all before her promotion? And her passing that test? I understand that people might be able to advance not through actual command posts, but still - no field experience with significant authority, and you are deemed capable of commanding a starship? I don't get it.
- She passed a bridge officer's exam, but that's just one of the conditions; otherwise any ensign could take it, pass it and be a commander. The question is about command experience.