Once again we can look at their list of course books.
SECOND-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE:
- The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk
- Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart
- Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart
- Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart
- Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart
- Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart
- Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart
- Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart
(Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 4)
Only one of these is a spellbook.
We can also assume that the following first year books were still used:
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
text available on Pottermore
Of these, the only spell that we know of is "Reparifarge!" from A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration.
Incomplete Transfigurations are difficult to put right, but you must attempt to do so. Leaving the head of a rabbit on a footstool is irresponsible and dangerous. Say ‘Reparifarge!’ and the object or creature should return to its natural state.
There is still one spell that Lockhart teaches (which may be found in his books) - "Peskipiksi Pesternomi" - Note that this probably isn't even a real spell. However, it may have been an attempt at the Freezing Charm.
“Come on now — round them up, round them up, they’re only pixies,” Lockhart shouted.
He rolled up his sleeves, brandished his wand, and bellowed, “Peskipiksi Pesternomi!”
(Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 6 - text available on Pottermore)
The only potions textbook that second year students have is Magical Drafts and Potions. Bear in mind that they use this same textbook until sixth year, so not all of these are necessarily second year potions.
- Antidote to Common Poisons
- Cure for Boils (first years)
- Forgetfulness Potion (first years)
- Sleeping Draught (Hermione makes one in book two)
- Swelling Solution (second years)
- Wideye or Awakening Potion
In addition, we also know that they learned about Hair Raising Potions.
Snape had given them so much homework, Harry thought he was likely to be in the sixth year before he finished it. Ron was just saying he wished he had asked Hermione how many rat tails you were supposed to add to a Hair Raising Potion when an angry outburst from the floor above reached their ears.
(Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 13)
So the spells and potions that we know of are:
Incantations taken from Pottermore and Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Note: The wand gestures in Wonderbook: Book of Spells differ from those found on Pottermore (probably due to simplification)
- Dancing Feet Spell (Tarantellegra)
- Disarming Charm (Expelliarmus)
- Engorgement Charm (Engorgio)
- Freezing Charm (Immobulus)
- General Counter-Spell (Finite Incantatem)
- Memory Charm (Obliviate) Probably students only learn about this spell
- Tickling Charm (Rictusempra)
- Lockhart's™ Pixie Rounding-up Charm? (Peskipiksi Pesternomi)
- Un-Transfiguration spell? (Reparifarge) Possibly taught in previous year
- Swelling Solution
- Hair Raising Potion
- Sleeping Draught Safe to assume, but not conclusive
- Antidote to Common Poisons Possibly taught in a different year
- Herbicide Possibly taught in a different year
- Wideye or Awakening Potion Possibly taught in a different year