Has The Watcher (Uatu) ever been mentioned or referred to in a Marvel movie or TV show?
Uatu has not made an appearance or been mentioned in any live-action movies or within the marvel-cinematic-universe. He has, however, appeared within other Marvel TV shows including:
- The 1967 Fantastic Four animated series
- The Incredible Hulk Segment of The Marvel Super Heroes
- An episode of the X-Men animated series
- An episode of the 1994 Fantastic Four animated series
- Appearances on the Silver Surfer animated series
- Appearances on The Super Hero Squad Show
- Appeaances on Avengers Assemble (the animated TV series)
- An episode of the Hulk and the Agents of SMASH
There has been some misunderstanding based on some scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 where Stan Lee makes appearances alongside some unnamed Watchers, and some people believe that Lee is a Watcher, or even Uatu himself.
Producer Kevin Feige shuts that idea down in an interview with Collider:
Kevin, in one of the scenes during the credits, we see The Watcher, Uatu, in there. Might Stan Lee might be The Watcher, in some way?
FEIGE: Well, I wouldn’t say you saw Uatu. I would say that you saw some Watchers. Stan Lee clearly exists above and apart from the reality of all the films, so the notion that he could be sitting there, on a cosmic pit stop, during the jump gate sequence in Guardians was something very fun.
In an interview with ScreenRant He further insinuates that while Marvel may use the Watchers (as a race) in the MCU, they may not have rights to use Uatu.
And that’s also a question I had, the Watchers, aren’t they Fantastic Four owned by Fox? Has there been a deal made?
No. There’s joint custody with a number of things. There are certain characters that they have, but races that we share. If that makes sense?