I read this book back in high school (around 2001-2002) and for the life of me I can NOT remember it. I hope someone can help. The things I do remember are the following.
- There was a system of magic in place that was color coded, with different colors for different things, with yellow magic being one of the first learned.
- One of the characters was able to access a deeper level of magic, called gold, and was mentored to master it by another gold magic user. He also wasn't given a choice in the matter. These wielders of gold magic had a specific title but I don't remember what it was.
- When wanting different effects, the colors were mentioned. You had to access that particular color of the magic spectrum to get the desired effect. Gold magic was an exception as it was a deeper level that could have aspects of all of them.
- It also featured a tale of knights in enchanted armor.
- These knights went through a portal to face some dark horror, I think some kind of vampire, and only one of them came back
- The one that came back could not remove his armor until he encountered the one who had enchanted it, and so nearly choked to death of his beard
- The older magician who enchanted the armor also enchanted other things, and to activate them you had to say his name. That way, if the item was stolen, no one except the people he had given it too, and therefore knew who he was, would be able to activate them.
- At some point, one of the armors is worn by a female affected by the dark horror/vampire like state, and reflects her, beautiful on the outside but broken and ugly inside. It is subsequently broken
- Near the end, the new wearers of the armor attempt to finish the quest of the originals, but I can't remember if they succeed or just set up a sequel, or even if there was a sequel.
Please help, if you can.