This novel dates from early 90s and has the following elements.
- The USA is surrounded by an energy field that cannot be penetrated or turned off. The world is hi-tech, but post-apocalyptic
- The hero has some kind of implant in his chest that runs on the emotion of rage.
- Intelligent dolphins run a city in Texas and are dictators.
- The hero travels with a cult that preaches a sort of "suicide is glorious" dogma. One of them commits suicide by having his hands and feet cut off. I believe they may eat him as well.
- The cult uses genetically-engineered human hands the size of horses to pull heavy loads across the wasteland. The hands eat through beaks like a squid.
- Book had a red/orange colored cover.