I read an excellent book a while back that I think was written in the late 80s or early 90s.
- It was set on a planet in which almost the entire surface was covered with water.
- There were creatures called "mams"
- They were like our whales, dolphins, porpoises, etc.
- They were intelligent and certain people (I think they were some sort of priest class) could sing to them psychically and then ride them to get around the planet
- The protagonist was a young man who had a broken past
- His mother was some sort of spiritual leader who had had two children - himself and a long-lost sister
- The sister had been genetically mutated in some way that she became part of a special class of "people" that were like mermaids and always lived in the water. - The job of the mermaids was to save humans from these predatory creatures
- The creatures lived on the sea floor and called psychically to humans to swim to them, and then wrapped them up and drowned them before dissolving them slowly.
- The main character (the young man) discovered that he was very talented at the psychic singing
- He imprinted on a massive white porpoise-like creature that became his "moonsteed".
What is the name of this story?