Key plot points
- The storyline was that all statues come to life and move around although humans don't know this.
- The human statues are involved in a long running on-off war with animal statues.
- At the start of the book the statues are at peace but two real kids, boy and girl, get attacked by an animal statue in a museum.
- They are rescued by a statue of a WW1 soldier. They then travel with him but I can't remember why.
- They definitely visit some sphinxes who are neutral in the human animal war but are very untrustworthy.
- At one point the soldier statue gets injured and has a hallucination of dying in the Battle of the Somme. He survives in the end I think.
Chronology and other info
I read this story a few years ago (2010 maybe) but I think it was written earlier than that maybe in the 1990s.
The book is a children's/YA book and was set in England, possibly London.