I've been trying to find this episode and remember seeing it vividly but have no idea what series it even was. Despite searching through different anthology series episode descriptions, I haven't found it. Here's what I know:
- The tech was early 80s (Wargames era at best)
- The story involved a young boy becoming obsessed with a "Simon" (Memory) type of electronic game. He wanted to achieve an ultimate score I think.
- His dad is suspicious of the game and goes to investigate the toy maker.
- The designer of the game admits that he didn't really design it. The code/design was found on a satellite (or came as a message from space or something like this. Not sure here but the basic point was that the game design was sent by aliens. *The dad rushes home only to barely see his son make the ultimate level and vanish before his eyes.
- Last shot is of the dad picking up the game and starting to play. It's the only way to get to his son.
Anyway - that's all I have. Like I said it was pretty vivid and it scared the crap out of me. I'd guess I saw it around 1987 or so. I've searched everything I can on Google and nothing comes up so I'm starting to think I made it up! Thanks for any tips!