I'm looking for a book for young adults (read it about 6 to 8 years ago, so around the 2008-2010 time frame) about 5 (or 4) girls, brought together because they have superpowers and can save the world. I read it in French, but I don't know whether it is originally written in that language.
What I remember:
- they are introduced successively, and we follow the team as it is gathered from all around the world (maybe one girl per continent? not sure). I think they all are orphans, though it might not be explicit at the beginning of the book.
- one of the girls probably comes from a country in a state of civil war
- one girl was able to speak any language as long as she was within a certain perimeter of a speaker of the language, which actually makes it hard for her to learn new languages in a "normal fashion".
- one girl was mute and only able to communicate via drawings, if I remember well she had precognitive abilities. (I'd say that she was from Eastern Europe, and found in an orphanage, but I'm not sure).
- at one point they are sent on a mission, to gather information. The girl who speaks languages only when at a given distance of people is given a paper which she cannot read (it is written in Russian). During the mission, the contents of the message suddenly become clear/understandable, from which she deduces that a Russian speaking person must be coming close to where she is.
- we learned at the end that they had appeared all at the same time as being "wished by the collective of humans", in a way being as unreal as Santa Claus. This collective humanity wish was brought on by the arrival of the 2000 millennium, a time which focused hopes for changes.
- I think they managed to survive at the end despite not being human/real.