I'm trying to identify a novel I read back in the 90s. I'm going to list a bunch of random facts that I remember in the hope that someone will recognize it. I'm not sure of the names I list below, so please take the names with a grain of salt.
- The novel centered around and was told from the perspective of a warlord. He had been resurrected(?) along with 10 or so others to lead armies and conquer. He could use magic and change his appearance.
- I remember that the first use of his magic was to conjure a heavy fur cape after he is resurrected.
- He and the others each fill a goblet with blood and pass it around to learn about each other.
- He carries a marble in the crook of his elbow that contains the soul of a giant/ogre/troll(something) that he captured and uses to spy.
- He ran the [giant's] people off a cliff and captured the leaders soul when the leader stabbed himself in the neck rather than jump.
- The more magic that he uses the more he transforms into a dragon. I think two of the other characters are Saffa Firehair and Bors.
- Bors started transforming into a dragon at some point and went crazy for a couple of years while he gathered the magic to complete the dragon.
- There was some super powerful character, the one who resurrected and controlled the twelve, who was imprisoned in a block of obsidian.
- The twelve revolted and tried to kill him, but were unable to and so imprisoned him instead.
These are most of the facts that I can remember. Thank you to anyone that can help me to identify the book, or at least clarify/add to the details I can't remember clearly.