Before Rogue One underwent extensive reshoots, a lot of dialogue and footage was cut from the theatrical release. In the first teaser, leaked celebration trailer, celebration reel, the two official trailers, all five international trailers, and the 44 TV spots released to date, I found a lot of content that was not present in the final cut. My question is, does the material below still appear in the film novelisation?
- Jyn talking to Saw in his cave. The scene appears in the theatrical release, but these pieces of dialogue said by Jyn have been cut. They are taken from the special extended look and leaked celebration trailer;
The Empire is building a terrible weapon, capable of destroying an entire planet | There isn't much time. Everyday, we grow weaker. While they grow stronger. This is our chance, to make a real difference.
- Mon Mothma talking to Jyn about her troubled history. The dialogue was heard in the first teaser, but was not in the final scene.
On your own from the age of fifteen; reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined.
- Sections of dialogue spoken by General Draven to Jyn. It is heard in the teaser and first official trailer (some of the dialogue is heard in the theatrical release).
State your name for the record. [Jyn Erso] Forgery of Imperial documents, possession of stolen property, aggravated assault, resisting arrest | Can you be trusted without your shackles?
- Saw talking to Jyn (as an adult). The dialogue is narrated by Saw in the first teaser and TV spot.
What will you do when they catch you? What will you do if they break you? If you continue to fight, what will you become?
- Jyn and Cassian running from AT-ACT's with the Death Star plans (minor shot)
- Jyn looking down a hallway in the Scarif base. The shot appeared in several trailers and TV spots.
- Director Krennic walking on the beach as passing by deceased rebel and Imperial troopers. A minor shot that was cut from the full battle scene.
- Imperial Stormtroopers walking on the beach. Minor shots of stormtroopers walking on the beach made their first appearance in the leaked celebration trailer and were featured in an EW image.
- Extended Saw Gerrera dialogue that was cut from the full conversation between him and Jyn. It is heard in the first official trailer.
The world, is coming undone...
- Jyn's famous line heard first in the teaser trailer was cut from the theatrical release;
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
- Dialogue exchange between General Draven and Jyn that was cut. It is heard in the teaser trailer.
GENERAL DRAVEN: Is that clear?
JYN: Yes, sir.
- Jyn dialogue -- directed towards General Draven;
Let's just get this over with, shall we?
- Mon Mothma -- important dialogue. The dialogue was first heard in the teaser trailer.
We have intercepted a coded-Imperial transmission. It indicates that a major weapons test is imminent. We need to know what it is, and how to destroy it.
Additional minor shots and dialogue
- From the leaked celebration trailer -- two shots about a second each were cut from the theatrical release; In the first shot, there is an unseen camera angle of Jyn running from her father and mother in the flashback scene. The theatrical release does include shots of Jyn running from her parents, but different ones. In the second shot, Jyn is on Jedha City with Cassian and turns around to see an Imperial Assault Hovertank.
- Right before Jyn, Cassian and the rebel crew board the stolen Imperial shuttle on Yavin IV, Jyn says to the team; "Welcome to the Rebellion, soilders."
- Jyn and Cassian pilot a U-Wing in the official trailer. They both exchange dialogue saying "good" to each other.
- Jyn had an alternate line replacing "May the Force be with us" while speaking to the rebel crew before leaving for Scarif. She said; "Welcome to Rogue One."
- One of the many lines that was cut due to the reshoots was in her meeting with Mon Mothma; "I was trained to fight, not to stand down."
- A line heard in the TV Spot, Together had Jyn saying; "I need your help."
- Cassian dialogue from the official trailer that was cut -- "I've been recruiting for the Rebellion for a long time."
- In a small shot, X-wing pilots appear as prisoners on Jedha city. The shot was unfortunately left in the cutting room floor.
- Baze Malbuz dialogue from official trailer -- "I fight the Empire now." he proceeds to say, "You destroyed our home!"
- K-2SO dialogue from the official trailer -- "The captain says you are a friend, I will not kill you." He also says, "There is a 97.6 chance of failure."
- In a shot heavily featured throughout the trailers and TV spots, Death Troopers are seen firing at a specific target.
- Cassian dialogue from official trailer -- After Kaytoo says, "There is a ninety-seven point six-percent chance of failure," Cassian says, "He means well."
- The scene where Bodhi is asked for a call sign may have played out slightly differently as we can see in several TV spots that he is telling Jyn; "You might want to, strap in."
- A deleted scene with Jyn talking to Chirrut featured a line heard in several TV spots; "Are you with me?"
- In the official trailer, Cassian says to Jyn, "If you're really doing this, I want to help." Jyn then responds to Andor; "Then let's go."
- This shot of Jyn that debut in the first teaser trailer was cut from the theatrical release.
- Director Krennic stands in front of the Death Star Overbridge with his weapon.
- It appears that Jan Dodonna had a bigger role in early cuts of the film as we see him talking to Jyn in the same spot Mon Mothma consulted Jyn.
- A minor shot that was cut from the theatrical release showed us a glimpse of rebel crew in the same position others had in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.
- Chirrut had dialogue in the moments before Jyn, Casssian and the rebel crew prepared for battle; "Take hold of this moment, the Force is strong."
- Jyn also has extended dialogue in the conversation between her and Cassian while discussing her possession of the blaster on the U-Wing. She says, "We'll need a team."
- Two shots with Baze that were cut:
- There is a shot of Chirrut that was cut from the theatrical release but appeared in several trailers:
- The Rebellion is huddled together having a discussion of some sort with General Draven, Jan Dodonna, and Senator Jebel in the center. The scene never appeared in the final cut.
- A shot of Krennic approaching Imperial officers appeared in the IMAX TV spot but was cut.
- The little girl who Jyn rescues on Jedha appears to be looking up at the Death Star firing Jedha City straight down. The shot was cut.
- A shot of Jyn that never appeared in the theatrical release (alternate wide shot):
- As Jyn, Cassian, K2, Chirrut, Baze and Bodhi flee Jedha during its destruction, Jyn screams to Cassian, "GO, GO, GO!"
- A shot where Darth Vader oversees schematics of some sort on a panel has been cut.
- Mon Mothma dialogue from the second official trailer -- "Our Rebellion, is all that remains to push back the Empire."
- Mon Mothma says to Jyn in the theatrical release of the film; "I'm sorry, Jyn. The odds are too great." Jyn then proceeds to leave. But right after Mothma says the odds are too great, she is heard saying in TV spot 23; "We need to surrender." The line was cut.
- Jyn Erso -- a cut line heard first in the official Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Featurette; "Anyone not willing to risk being left behind, now is your chance to speak up."
- Extended Jyn Erso dialogue -- While Jyn has her rally speech in the conference room scene, there is unheard dialogue that was cut but heard in a few TV spots; "...but there's a way to defeat it [Death Star]. We need to capture the plans."
- Jyn has several alternative pieces of dialogue in the U-Wing scene with Cassian, here is a cut line;
We need to find a way to defeat it.
- A cut line from the U-Wing scene;
We can stop them.
- Another set of alternate lines from the same scene that were cut;
1. If my father is a key to destroying a terrible weapon, then we'll find him... And bring him back 2. If my father built this thing, then we'll need to find him... And bring him back
- Director Krennic speaks to Vader in the second official trailer. The entire scene has been cut.
KRENNIC: The power that we are dealing with here, is immeasurable.
- Vader and Tarkin scene -- An extended shot of Darth Vader's reflection while looking at the schematics on the panel has been cut. If seen closely, Tarkin's boots appear next to him. The shot appeared in the celebration trailer, second official trailer, and the BREATH TV spot.
- A shot of the U-Wing Jyn and the team are on, fly over a fallen Jedi statue on Jedha. The specific angle does not appear in the theatrical release.
- In the second official trailer, the back of Tarkin's head is seen as he approaches Krennic and a group of other Imperial officers.
- An unseen shot of Krennic while he invades the Erso family.
- Mon Mothma dialogue from the first teaser trailer -- "We have a mission for you..."
- Jyn asks, "So why me?" during her conversation with Mon Mothma and Cassian. The line was cut.
- As Jyn walks across the bridge to adjust the dish in order to transmit the plans on Scarif, she is stopped as a TIE-fighter approaches in front of her. The scene was altered in post-production due to repetitive action from the scene prior.
- Cassian says to Jyn in an unidentified scene, "We'll follow your lead." The line was cut but is heard in the second international trailer.
- The flashback scene played out differently in some areas, as the eight year old Jyn is heard screaming, "FATHER!" in the second international trailer.
- Jyn is heard saying in the third international trailer, "It could be the end of us all."
- Chirrut speaks to an unidentified individual saying the following, "Our tasks have become one." This line first heard in the fourth international trailer was cut from the final film.
- Baze speaks to Jyn in the fourth international trailer and says, "I go where he goes."
Story element changes due to reshoots
- The entire battle of Scarif played out very differently from what seen in the final cut. Originally, Jyn and Cassian escaped as a team with the rest of the rebels across the beach while physically holding the Death Star plans. And based on the trailers, TV spots, featurettes and other promotional material, the battle was to take place during the evening. With the group of rebels (including Baze and Chirrut) having a small role, the original cut had much more screen time with them as there a variety of shots that indicate this.
- In the theatrical release of Rogue One, Jyn is seen rescuing a little girl who lost her mother on Jedha City. In the celebration reel, it appears that she meets the young girl earlier when she is seen giving the child a red object. The scene could have played out in a variety of ways as it could have been minor as a deleted scene, or possibly vital to the rest of the action seen on Jedha City.
- In the first cut of Rogue One, it can be assumed that Saw was never meant to have hair as we can see an adult Jyn standing next to him while he is bald in the celebration reel at 1 minute and 59 seconds. It is unknown why the decision was taken to make Saw have grey hair.
- Eight seconds in to the Jyn Erso Featurette, Jyn and Andor are seen walking on the outskirts of Jedha with a group of camels and other individuals.
- In the conference room meeting with the Rebellion, a hologram projection of the Death Star appears in the center. This can suggest that the interaction of the characters would have gone differently and possibly be the reason why the characters are given different dialogue in several TV Spots.