Between 2004 and 2010, I bought this pirated DVD which had the title Deep Impact or Meteor, I forgot which one. Basically the movie is about an asteroid or comet hitting Earth, and nuking it was not an option, because it will just cause more debris. So they evacuate the area of the impact, and let the asteroid impact that area.
Here are the details:
- Someone detects an asteroid heading toward Earth
- The military or scientists consider nuking the asteroid, but then another scientist say that it is a bad idea, because it will instead create more smaller asteroids that will cause more damage. He explained it using some sort of glass water cup on top of a table, probably with ice
- Then after that scene, there is a scene where there is a news that shows Russia or China moving some sort of land-based ICBM as they are trying to destroy that asteroid
- They determined that the asteroid will hit a city in the US, and then they decide to evacuate that area
- To evacuate that area, they use as many forms of transport as possible, to the point that they used the city highway as some sort of airstrip for big aircraft to help evacuate the people
- In the end, the main characters stay in the city, watching as the asteroid hits the city
What I do definitely know about this film is that this is definitely not Deep Impact or Meteor, although the DVD cover and the title said so, because I already looked at the plot for both of them in Wikipedia, and it is definitely not in Wikipedia’s page of impact even films.