I'd like to identify a fantasy novel I read, probably somewhere from the mid eighties to early nineties.
One problem is that I have read a lot of fantasy novels and it is highly likely that I will conflate parts of several novels if I say too much. So, here is the one thing I remember that I want to know the story for:
A character on a quest of some sort got ill. He had a cough that was accompanied by greasy smoke coming from his mouth. He eventually died because of this.
Here are some other things that I believe came from the same story, but I cannot be sure.
- Swords and sorcery story.
- The ill man and his party were travelling by boat at the time.
- The character was a villager (possibly a farmer or blacksmith).
- He was a major character, or at least a long standing character.
- As the illness progressed he may have had mushrooms appear on his tongue.
Thanks in advance for any help working this one out!