I've searched and searched and I can't find this story. I hope someone else knows what I'm on about.
- I am ~80% it's called "Shadow People".
- I am ~80% sure it's a short story in a collection or anthology (possibly a horror one). If it's not a short story, it's a novella.
- I am ~50% sure it was from a book published in the late 90s or early 00s.
- At the beginning the protagonist (I can't remember if it's a female or male, sorry) is watching out the window in their living room when they notice what they refer to as shadow people (described as if someone cut a human shape out of reality) measuring the distance from a tree to a point on the street and other sort of "public works" kind of actions. Sometime later (hours, days, weeks, unsure) a horrific and deadly car accident happens there, right along the trajectory that the shadow people were measuring previously.
- The shadow people notice the protagonist at some point and his/her life starts unraveling from there.
- I am about ~20% sure the end involves the protagonist sitting in an unfurnished room with all the lights on waiting for the shadow people to come for them.
I have scoured my books, the Internet, and even gone into some of those forums and sites that are dedicated to the paranormal where people talk about shadow people as real entities hoping to find this story, to no avail.
Thank you in advance for remembering what my tired old brain certainly cannot!