I'm trying to remember a book I've read about 10-12 years ago. This is a young adult fantasy/scifi book, very similar to Kuromori series, but about Ancient Egypt. I believe it was originally written in English, but I read it in Russian.
What I remember:
- the setting is modern (at least, there were modern airplanes, but not sure about mobile phones)
- the main hero is a boy about 14-15 years old who lives alone
- his father is an engineer working in Egypt, probably on Suez Canal
- somehow, strange things start happening with the boy, and they are related with Ancient Egypt gods/monsters/visions
- shortly, a man who calls himself Ptah (like an Egyptian god) arrives to this boy and tells that he's a friend of his father's
- boy finds him suspicious
- still, the man possesses some kind of superpowers, partly related with pure magic, partly - with rituals
- they start a long travel which finishes in Egypt
- they are accompanied by Anubis (who comes as a doberman dog) and Bast (who comes as a cat)
- there is some reason why they travel and what are they trying to accomplish, all that I remember that it was related with Akhenaten and the god Seth
- they find the Eye of Horus on the way that plays a significant part in the plot
- they fight with some gods or monsters, the boy doesn't have any superpowers but somehow they cope with it
- everything ends well - the boy and his father are reunited in Egypt
I hope this is enough to find it, and thanks for your help!