I'm trying to find a series of stories (a trilogy, I think) with a slew of distinctive features. I can't remember when the books were written (I read them about a year and a half ago), but I can remember several points about the story:
- It begins in a peaceful city controlled by a matriarchy.
- Young men and women are tutored in the ways of the world by 'Aunts' and 'Uncles' (who have no actual familial connection).
- The whole world is actually a colony whose inhabitants are being prevented from developing scientifically by a highly complex mind controlling satellite.
- The satellite starts to break down, allowing some (including one particularly successful warlord) to fight it's control and develop destructive technologies.
- The satellite loads itself up with some people (the protagonists) and heads back to Earth for repair.
- Earth has changed and is now home to two sentient species, one avian ('angels', I seem to recall) and the other subterranean (and fond of sculpture).
- These two species are in conflict, but are also intricately linked with each other's breeding behaviour.
- The humans, returned from the colony by the mind controlling satellite, create peace between the two civilisations.
There are so many disparate elements here that I'm beginning to wonder if I just made the whole thing up in a fever dream. Anybody got any ideas?