If a wizard was working for the Ministry of Magic (i.e. Auror, official), would they have to pay income tax along with the money that they earn from the Ministry of Magic just like Muggles do with the government?

Also, do wizards have to pay wizarding property tax if they lived in a house in the wizarding world and not the Muggle world?


2 Answers 2


Don't know.

There isn't any mention that I could find of taxes while skimming through the seven books in the main series, looking for an answer to this question. I don't think that there's anything in the companion books - they're not textbooks for that subject :). FBAWTFT, movie edition - nothing that I remember, although admittedly, I only watched it once.

So, we don't know - it's not mentioned in canon.

  • There is mention of Muggle taxes (Riddle House, Dumbledore's intro to FBaWtFT). Snape uses the word overtaxing in book three, possibly implying that Wizards are somewhat familiar with the concept.
    – ibid
    May 15, 2017 at 20:25

I think there must be. J.K. tweeted once that wizards (in the U.K. at least) do not have to pay to go to Hogwarts. We know there is also a Government, the Aurors are like a police force. The books do not go into everyday expenses, but wizards must be paying for some form of tax to cover the above. Either that or the state has the ownership of certain products — let's use floo Powder as an example — and gains income from the sales of these items.

  • If you could find the tweet you're referring to it would make for a great answer and improve the quality of this current answer quite a bit. Sep 2, 2017 at 10:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.