In the late 90's, when Star Wars was re-released, I remember seeing a parody Star Wars trailer before the movie that was called something like "Trash Wars" that had all the characters looking like shoddy garbage. Does anyone remember what this was called? (searching for "Trash Wars" does not yield any valid results).
Hardware Wars is the film you're looking for.
Characters that tell us this is a Star Wars parody:
- Fluke Starbucker
- Princess Anne-Droid
- Augie "Ben" Doggie
- Ham Salad
- Chewchilla the Wookiee Monster (looks like Cookie Monster)
- Darph Nader
Objects that give it the "trash" feel":
- Steam iron (spaceship) feeling a toaster (spaceship) firing toast.
- 4-Q-2 (robot who looks similar to the Tin Man)
- Arty Deco (robot who is a canister vacuum cleaner)
- Cassette player (another spaceship/escape pod)
- Watermelon (standing in for a planet).
- Flashlight (
- Steam Cabinets (Imperial Steam Troopers)
- Waffle iron (enemy base)
- Bottle openers (spaceships)
Nathan's answer is probably the correct one, but you may be getting the "garbage" connection from this spoof series, Quark. (I'd forgotten about the Bettys...)