This question already has an answer here:
I can remember these details:
- The ship is disintegrating because years ago it passed through a cloud containing organisms that are now eating through its hull
- Nobody is able to figure out how to get rid of the organisms
- It's a generation ship. The main characters were born there and are the latest of many generations who have never lived on a planet
- The ship is not going to make it to the new earth colony before it disintegrates
- The main characters encounter some other beings (can't remember details) that help them travel faster than light to arrive at their destination
I got this book at a school book fair when I was in maybe 6th or 7th grade (early 80s). I can't remember the author or the title, but would love to rediscover it and/or share it with my kids.
Thanks for your help!