Sorry I can't pinpoint the magazine.
The plot was:
- Humans were fighting a war in the distant future.
- It was set in space.
- As the supply of humans dwindled, the brains and other organic parts of the dead humans were integrated into parts of machines (ie: brains piloting the star ships etc...).
- They remembered being human and remembered their names.
- They were grappling with being re-purposed, usually without permission.
- It was very well written, but the author was not anyone instantly recognizable. Maybe it was a pen-name?
I have been searching for this story for 28 years. Used to have a big box full 2nd or 3rd hand Amazing, Astounding and Galaxy pulp magazines from 40's and 50's, that's why the date and publication is nebulous.
If anyone has read this story, or can help me with my search, I would be everlastingly grateful! It was powerful story.