All I remember is the following details from a magazine I read in high school:
- Most likely a short story.
- Mother and son are nigh immortals through life extensions technology.
- They are talking about how after living so long (i think hundreds of years) they are more friends rather than mother and son.
- The mother is planning on committing euthanasia since she is bored with living.
- In the story, there is a limit on child birth, as every new human takes up additional resources.
- Should be a relatively well-known story as it was in a major science type publication.