I am looking for a story I read as a kid. I only remember very little, but the fantastic results in other questions makes me hope you can find the answer.
Here is as much as I can remember:
- It is a fantasy book, or possibly multiple books
- I am pretty sure it is directed to young readers
- I read it in German
- I read it probably some time between 1995 and 2000
- The protagonist is a boy who might have been called Michael (or Micha, or Mischa)
- I think he has a gem (maybe a dark gem), I think on a necklace, which allows him to change from the "real world" to a fantasy world
- I remember that he is accompanied in the fantasy world by a male, hairy dwarf, who is quick with words, and some kind of djinn or ghost or spirit
- I think in one occurence (maybe right at the beginning), he crossed over to the fantasy world from the back of his school yard
- I remember one occurence where the boy was carried around by a big tree, sitting in the branches - much like Merry and Pippin being
carried around by Treebeard in Lord of the Rings, but I think the
tree was travelling through a swamp, and I am not sure if the tree
was sentinent like treebeard was.
- That part - being carried by the tree - might also have been part of the cover of the book.