Some people have suggested that the Dark Lord has invented the three Unforgivable curses. I don't think this is true, but there are certainly some good arguments to suggest it.
- None of the curses were mentioned in the prequel film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which plays before the Dark Lord's time.
- The Dark Lord and his followers have used all three in the war significantly. The killing curse even counts as the signature spell of the Dark Lord.
- People have pointed out that singling out these three spells as “Unforgivable” seems arbitrary and possibly politically motivated. What better argument is there to ban certain spells can there be than to just choose the ones the most evil wizard ever have invented?
- The Dark Lord was powerful, talented, and smart, which are useful for inventing new spells.
- He has “travelled far and wide” after he graduated from Hogwarts (according to Chamber of Secrets chapter 18), and he has killed lots of people. I take this as meaning that he has gained a large amount of experience, which he could then possibly spend on researching spells.
Do we have proof that the Dark Lord has invented none of the three Unforgivable spells?