Many years ago I read a short (?) sci-fi story that I've since lost track of.
Here's what I remember:
- A man came from the future, met a girl, fell in love, told her he was from the future and (not so sure about this part) found out that she was dying and left her a pill/shot of nanomachines to save her from her illness
- The girl lived in a remote part of the United States (?), in a very distinct rural area with mountains and trees that meant a lot to her.
- Said man then went back to the future (?), Humanity gained access to nanomachines, became immortal and started exploring the Universe. The girl/woman was one of the the first explorers and visited many planets
- She came back from her exploration, back to the place where she was born to wander amongst the tress/mountains she grew up with
- The nanomachines were injected in the brain stem
Sorry in advance if the details are a bit fuzzy but it was many years ago. Scoured Google but was unable to find anything (likely on the account of misremembering some/most of the details).