This question already has an answer here:

Being that the Title sequence for Game of Thrones tells us a lot about each house, each city for that particular series or represents a place in the world of Game of Thrones. I keep on wondering what is the thing that looks like a lit up shield in the below picture;

Here it is again later on in the Title sequence;

And I don't think it is the sun as there is a place where they show what seems to be the sun in the picture below:

So what is it supposed to be, or what is it supposed to represent?

marked as duplicate by Gallifreyan, tobiasvl, Ward - Reinstate Monica, Au101, Edlothiad Jun 12 '17 at 18:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • That's the sun, isn't it? – Gallifreyan Jun 12 '17 at 14:15
  • @Gallifreyan, I edited my post. I don't think it is the sun – KyloRen Jun 12 '17 at 14:19
  • Well, what you added seems to show the exact same thing from afar, it even has something around it that looks like the rings in the topmost picture. – Gallifreyan Jun 12 '17 at 14:22

What you see is the sun in the centre of what the creators call an astrolabe, but what should be called an armillary sphere (we thank @Irishpanda for pointing this out):

If I interpret this article (where I also took the concept above from) correctly, the whole map we see is actually on the inner side of a Dyson sphere, and the astrolabe is suspended in its centre.

To quote Angus Wall, the creative director1 of the sequence (emphasis mine):

The fact that I wanted to be able to move the camera anywhere led us to the fact that this whole world had to exist on the inside of a sphere, which took us a while to figure out.

[. . .]

You have a sphere. Next question was “how is it lit?” And obviously, If you have a whole world inside a sphere, what would be in the middle of that sphere? The sun! Or whatever the light source of this world is.

In short, it's a giant sphere around the sun, so the thing you highlight is supposed to be, at least metaphorically, the star that shines upon the world the TV series is set on.

1 Fun fact - same studio made the title sequence to American Gods, the "Origins of Ilvermorny" clip for Pottermore, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

  • I think the whole contraption is called an astrolabe, not just the center part of it. – RichS Jun 12 '17 at 14:43
  • @RichS The metal thing seems to be called an astrolabe, the outer sphere (i.e. the map) is referred to as the sphere. – Gallifreyan Jun 12 '17 at 14:54
  • 2
    While there are spherical astrolabes, I believe the more precise term for that would be an armillary sphere: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillary_sphere – Irishpanda Jun 12 '17 at 14:55
  • I always thought the sphere represented the comet. It's a burning sphere flying across the sky. The map stretched out below is the earth. – adcoon Jun 12 '17 at 15:16
  • @adcoon I always thought it was the fun above a globe. Turns out it's a sun inside a sphere. Ah, well. – Gallifreyan Jun 12 '17 at 15:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.