In the Hobbit the dwarves are captured by elves in Mirkwood and taken to a stronghold on the northeastern side of Mirkwood along the Forest River referred to as "The Elvenking's Halls".

A map of the Wilderland from Christopher Tolkien

Image credit: http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/2/20/Christopher_Tolkien_-_Map_of_Wilderland.jpg

Does this stronghold/settlement have a proper elven name other than "The Elvenking's Halls" (like Caras Galadhon in Lothlorien)? Do the elves of Mirkwood not have proper names for their settlements?


Halls of Thranduil

I do not believe they are given a separate title in most of Tolklien's works or writings. This is kind of odd as one would expect a Sindarian name at the very least; it might be safe to assume that such a title does exist (in universe) however, this title has yet to be extrapolated (to my knowledge).

There is a very detailed answer given Here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.