I think it is safe to assume that magical otherkin would not have a problem as they would be able to express themselves by becoming Animagi, but what would we call a magical person of unconventional gender?

I doubt they would be happy being called a witch or a wizard, as both terms presume a strict gender binary, so what term would they use?

Please note that this question is asked with tongue firmly in cheek, but I do wonder if any thought has been put into this type of question by either the fans or JK herself.

  • 2
    Simple: You call them what they request to be called. That goes for every enby or genderfluid person, IRL or in fiction.
    – ave
    Jul 9, 2017 at 15:10
  • I mean, is there a third term apart from witch or wizard? Jul 9, 2017 at 15:11
  • 1
    As far as I know, a "mage" can have an integer or non-integer gender. Jul 9, 2017 at 15:11
  • 2
    Wizard is used for both males and females.
    – Mithical
    Jul 9, 2017 at 15:23
  • @Mithrandir "Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft" - seems like there's a distinction. Jul 9, 2017 at 15:25

1 Answer 1


They'd be called a wizard.

As seen in the answers to Is there a gender-neutral term for witches and wizards?, "wizard" is a gender-neutral term which can be used for both male and female magic users, and therefore presumably also for those of non-binary gender.

There are also terms such as "wand carrier" or "magic user", but these are more clumsy and awkward. Just go with "wizard" - that term seems to work for everyone, regardless of gender.

  • 1
    Why "wizard", and not "witch"? That's sexist, isn't it? Jul 9, 2017 at 15:28
  • @Gallifreyan No, there's nothing sexist about "wizard", because it's a gender-neutral term. A witch just means a female wizard.
    – Rand al'Thor
    Jul 9, 2017 at 15:30
  • 1
    But there clearly exist a distinction between the two terms, i.e. when they're both used, one is used for males and the other for females. I don't remember a witch being called a "wizard" to her face (please correct me if I'm wrong). Jul 9, 2017 at 15:32
  • 2
    @Gallifreyan - 'warlock' and 'witch' are the gender specific terms. 'wizard' is neutral.
    – Mithical
    Jul 9, 2017 at 15:32
  • @Gallifreyan - yes. A female wizard is called a wizard to her face; see the duplicate link.
    – Mithical
    Jul 9, 2017 at 15:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.