So, Kids might be a bit too young but I'm unsure about the age, so let me start about what i can remember:
- While growing up people develop an "affinity" for an element.(Fire/Water/Earth/..?)
- This enables them to interact with it in a special way, like a smith could touch the hot coals without getting burned, or make them even hotter.
- The story evolves around 4? Kids that are said to be born every ?? years and develop this affinity even further, like having complete mastery over an element.
- One of these Kids is a bully and even forces himself on a girl.
- This one later develops the power to "sense the life force" still present in dead body's and learns to reanimate them
That's as far is a can clearly remember. The German book cover was mainly white, but showed an rising/dropping sun (several colors for different books(3 at least) like orange, red, blue) with something in front.
I thought the author started with Joe, but could not find the correct one. Might be complete wrong with that one.