The following list is all the elements I can remember from this series:
1) It was a mini-series of about 4 to 6 episodes each lasting about 45 minutes to an hour.
2) It was made either in America or Canada somewhere between 2001 and 2005 (I watched it in South Africa somewhere between 2002 and 2006)
3) The story was about a secret facility that contained and studied children with psychic abilities.
4) There was a particularly strong child who could control people's actions, but only one person at a time.
5) I remember a scene where someone new to the facility was walking from cell to cell seeing the different children, one of whom was drawing a picture by controlling the crayons with her mind.
6) The primary conflict was about one child who was secreted out of the facility and is being pursued by a grizzled military type guy (who may or may not have had a cigar) who was in charge of the facility's security.
That is all I can recall at the moment but I welcome any questions for clarification.