Are the 2005 & newer episodes of Doctor Who fresh scripts, or were some of the scripts from older seasons rewritten for new viewer education since the Doctor Who series rebooted?
None of them are direct rewrites of older TV episodes, but some of them are rewrites of expanded universe material written by the same authors. For example:
- The "Human Nature"/"Family of Blood" two-parter from season 3 started as a tie-in novel also called Human Nature.
- "A Christmas Carol", the season 5 Christmas episode, is a reworking of Steven Moffat's earlier short story "Continuity Errors."
- "The Lodger," also from season 5, may or may not qualify -- it's a rewritten version of a comic strip, but the original comic strip was already post-reboot.
A couple of stories from the new TV series were rewritten from Big Finish audio stories as well:
- "Dalek" was adapted from "Jubilee"
- "The Age of Steel"/"Rise of the Cybermen" were inspired by "Spare Parts"