I remember reading a series of books that took place in the Unites States in our time, but some 50 years ago or so there was a problem with genetically modified tomatoes eradicating most of humanity - except the supernatural entities in our world decided that this is their time to shine and help the humans, so they revealed that all those fairy tales we know have always been true.
The story is about a witch who was working for an agency that was trying to fight criminal supernatural creatures. One day she has a job together with a female vampire and a male pixie who were also working for this agency. Somehow they rescue a creature that can help them with a little head-start for their own business and they decide to quit their job at the agency. They talk about this plan in a bar.
Which turns out not to be the greatest idea because this agency doesn't like people quitting.
There were multiple books in this series. What I described was the start of the first one. I've read all of them in German and the word "Blut" (meaning blood) was in the title of every book of the series.
Random stuff I remember from the series:
- humans had a deep fear for tomatoes
- supernaturals were immune to the disease of the tomatoes leaving tomatoes something of a delicacy for them
- there were a lot of different creatures throughout the series:
- the witch was obsessed with shoes - especially her boots
- after some time the three protagonists moved into a church
- there were some romantic scenes between the witch and the vampire in later books, though they never really got together
I can't remember the name of the series and I haven't finished the series. Can you help me identify what books I am remembering so that I may continue reading the series? I would prefer information about the first book. I think there were about 10 books and I have read maybe 6 or 7 of them, but I am not sure. I've read them a few years back and the newer ones were just getting printed in Germany.