In Season 1 Episode 4, "If The Stars Should Appear" we encounter
An alien generational ship populated by people who have been adrift for two thousands years, and are unaware they are in an enclosed environment
There are a number of signs the ship is extremely big:
- It is clearly depicted as many hundreds or thousands of times wider than the Orville
- It contains "millions of people"
- It contains "many cities"
- It contains wide open fields and mountains -- clearly it is not densely populated like NYC
- The one city depicted is not very densely populated for a city -- no skyscrapers, etc.
Yet we have the line
"It is 790 square kilometers, about the size of New York City."
This line is at odds with everything else in the episode, and was wholly unnecessary. They could have compared it to a small country or a state, but didn't.