This question already has an answer here:
Back somewhere between 1995 and 1998 I have watched feature-length animated movie on home video. Sadly, tape was broken and I have never seen last 15-20 minutes. Animation quality was remarkably better than anything on TV at that time, so I think it was relatively new then. I don't remember anything from plot for certain, probably because I was too young to understand any of it (but hey, if it's animated it must be for children, right?).
What I do remember, though:
- There were only two main human characters - male and female. I'd say they were in 20s. Female might have been introduced in later part of the movie. If there were other humans, they didn't play significant enough role for me to remember them.
- There were a lot of androids, all looking exactly the same. They were painted black or dark-grey. Being androids, they were very human-like. I think they had blank heads, as if wearing helmets. I think they had very smooth movements and maybe main characters initially thought that they are humans?
- Androids had some specific, in-universe name. I think it did end with "-oid". It might have been in a title of movie.
- Main characters preferred to avoid these androids, rarely engaging in open confrontation.
- I don't remember any cities, forests, seas or grasslands. Most of the action was out in open air on some desert and/or rocky area, like real-world planet Mars.
- Art style was realistic. Think of something similar to The End of Evangelion.
- Colors were rather dim, with heavy usage of dark orange/red.
- There was shooting. I think that shooting device had big caliber, like Samus' in Metroid games. It shot laser beams or some kind of waves. Humans definitely shot at androids, but I don't remember if androids ever shot back.
- I think androids were empty inside. Main characters might have discovered that when they shot android for the first time and investigated the body.
- I think that close to end there was a scene with human(s?) floating in some reddish substance. That might have been a dream, some kind of out-of-body experience or them dying.
So, I remember rather visuals than plot, making it much harder for me to find. I did went through some "100 of best animes" lists and Wikipedia list on robot characters, but couldn't find it. So far I am only sure that it wasn't something from Robot Carnival.
Does anyone remember that movie and can name it?