Major spoilers ahead!
In the 2017 Wonder Woman, Diana is in Themyscira and Ares is initially in London, which given his role there, seems to be a permanent residence.
We learn that Ares can teleport and has been influencing people like Isabel Maru, but doesn’t go to Themyscira.
As best I can tell, the sequence of events goes as follows:
- Steve Trevor goes on his mission (Did Ares influence this?)
- Steve is discovered and makes a hasty escape on a plane
- Steve gets shot down right as he approaches Themyscira
- Steve barely survives the crash into the sea thanks to Diana being on the nearby cliffs
- The Germans arrive at Themyscira and are defeated, with Steve narrowly avoiding several bullets
- The Amazons decide not to kill Steve outright and allow him to leave
- Diana decides to join Steve on his journey, despite the other Amazons' protests
- They arrive in London, where it turns out Ares has been hanging out for long enough to have an established role as Sir Patrick Morgan
Did Ares somehow influence events such that Steve getting shot down, Diana rescuing him, and all the other steps in such a way that they were entirely part of his plan to draw her to him? Or did Diana get the luckiest break ever by blindly stumbling onto Ares’ permanent residence?