I'm trying to find a novel and I can't remember what it was called or the author. Here's what I remember:
- Read it within the past 10 years
- Read it as an English ebook
- Young adult (possibly new adult)
- Men are wizards, women have magic that can be used by men
- Women are treated as inferior
- Main character is a young woman who is married off to a foreign wizard. She is the oldest of a bunch of girls.
More points that I remember that may be spoilers:
- Main character is originally supposed to be married off to an older, local, abusive man, but ends up marrying foreigner when he kills main character's fiance for abusing her.
- Main character's husband sees women as equals and treats her much better than a local man would. She eventually falls in love with him.
- There is a test (maybe a blood test?) that women take to determine how much magic they have.
- There is some strange wedding ceremony where main character's husband forces her to feel various different emotions.
- At one point main character's husband congratulates her on her new baby sister. She thinks he is mocking her, while he is really being sincere.
- Main character and her husband are at a dinner/gathering where a young woman is killed/sacrificed.