Here is a piece of famous artwork by Wayne Anderson called 'Out of the Darkness'.
This poster looks like a mash up of cartoons drawn from different fairy tales and other kids stories. Can you help me identifying the stories behind the image?
I don't know much about fairy tales. So far, here are my guesses
- The cat of Alice in Wonderland
- The girl might be Rapunzel. I say that only because the girl has long blond hair but I really don't know. I don't know if the "small flying lutin" is part of the Rapunzel story.
- The moon with a party hat might be Humpty Dumpty...maybe.
- The pretty singular small mouse under the moon might be a reference to Town mouse and country mouse
- The bat at the upper left corner might come from Silverwing (althoguh the novel is a bit too recent compared to other references).
- There are plenty of animals on the left. Maybe La Fontaine has to do something with them! The fox with his shrewd look might be Renart from Roman de Renart
What references are present in this image?
If a list helps, here is a non-exhaustive list of potential things to recognize:
- The crab-clock on the tree trunk on the far right
- The owl-riding mouse on the upper left
- The unicycling mouse at the center
- The mechanical flamingo
- The very long-legged bird
- The walking tree with long nose, long ears and a snake earing
- The gigantic tree with an ear
- The snake
- The butterflies
- The 7 animals pointing their head from the left side
- The fish-sign hanging from the tree
- The thin and straight plants with blue flowers that hang like candelabra lamps
- The girl I identified as Rapunzel with the flying lutin
- The mouse I identified as coming from Town mouse and country mouse
- The moon with a party hat I identified as Humpty Dumpty
- The cat I identified coming from Alice in Wonderland
- The bat I identified as coming from Silverwings
- The owl in the tree hole
- The mushrooms