Looking to identify an animated movie I saw in the US in about 1995 probably on VHS (or less likely perhaps an episode of a TV series of which I have never seen another episode).
Features horses who live in the wild and are hunted by a mad scientist in a mountain lair. He hates horses and plans turn them into dog food. The horses have to evade his traps and I think at the end they foil his plans.
Particular elements that may be useful in finding this film:
- Animated, color, animation style seemed American
- I likely rented it in about 1995 on VHS. Video store had lots of 1980's era animated movies so could be from that era
Vividly remember a few key elements:
There are two remote-controlled grey robot dogs (think: bulldog). One is small and is like a pet to the mad scientist. One is huge and scoops up the trapped horses in his mouth to bring them back to the lair (maybe 10 at a time).
The horses are trapped variously in nets and pits
The scientist wears a lab coat and is short and stout. He may be a child. I think he had a bad experience
Inside of the mountain lair contains a machine he plans to use to turn the horses into dog food. I think the horses are freed from a giant holding net inside the mountain before he can use it.
Other points that may help:
- Early on the horses are trying to figure out why their friends are disappearing
- Horses seem to live in a forest habitat
- Horses are various different colors, but I believe all natural
- I do not remember any names, or if the horses were referred to as horses, ponies, brumbies, mustangs etc.