I read this paperback in the 80's. This is what I remember:
- the main characters are two male teens/pre-teens who do not get along but need to work together.
- They portal to another world where they are given a quest.
- They are given spears or rods that are unbreakable and food bowls in which any type of food can appear when they wish for it.
- One of the main characters tries to tame a wolf/wild dog towards the end.
- One chapter has the two boys running from place to place with torches trying to light things for a ritual.
- One chapter has the word of witch or witches in its title
- The paperback cover has a wolf on it and other fantasy things around it
- Upon completing the quest they humbly do not accept the monetary reward that is promised.