Not a lot of information is given about the time period following the rule of King Frank and Queen Helen, and leading up to the day that Lucy Pevensie first steps through the magical wardrobe and into the land of Narnia. Approximately 1,000 years passes between these two events, so what happens in-between?
We don't have information about this history, quite simply because C.S. Lewis did not write any books about it. Indeed C.S. Lewis personally stated when he wrote the books, he had no pre-conceived plans that he would write anything beyond "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." He said the same thing after he penned "Prince Caspian," and then again following publication of "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." One book led to the next, and he had seven books by the time he was done. He could easily have written more if he had chosen to do so.
I was curious to learn whether additional information had been written by Lewis, in a like way, perhaps, to what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote with his historical book of Middle Earth, called "The Silmarillion" Although Tolkien never developed it beyond an early draft (subsequently rejected by his publisher), Tolkien's son collaborated with another writer of fantasy.
Hoping that Lewis had created a history of his own, I learned that he had created his own timeline covering major historical events of Narnia, and the surrounding countries and kingdoms of Archenland and Calormen. While I do not have my own copy of this text, it does include a number of references that does supply additional information, though it doesn't offer many details regarding the period of their reign.
Here are some of the dates that C.S. Lewis provided, and edited by Walter Hooper [LINK] :
- Year 1 (Creation of Narnia) : The Beasts made able to talk. Digory plants the Tree of Protection. The White Witch Jadis enters Narnia but flies into the far North. Frank I becomes King of Narnia.
- Year 180 : Prince Col, younger son of King Frank V of Narnia, leads certain followers into Archenland (not then inhabited) and becomes first King of that country.
- Year 204 : Certain outlaws from Archenland fly across the Southern desert and set up the new kingdom of Calormen.
- Year 300 : The empire of Calormen spreads mightily. Calormenes colonize the land of Telmar to the West of Narnia.
- Year 302 : The Calormenes in Telmar behave very wickedly and Aslan turns them into dumb beasts. The country lies waste. King Gale of Narnia delivers the Lone Islands from a dragon and is made Emperor by their grateful inhabitants.
- Year 407 : Olvin of Archenland kills the Giant Pire.
- Year 460 : Pirates from our world take possession of Telmar.
- Year 898 : The White Witch Jadis returns to Narnia out of the far North.
- Year 900 : The long winter begins.
There may be additional texts and unpublished stories from C.S. Lewis, but I am not aware of any.