I read this in the early noughties. It would’ve been published around that time.
I don’t remember much besides the fact there was more than one book. Below I will list the recurring themes between books, before revealing details of books that I remember.
- The story is set in the U.K., where Scotland and The North are far wealthier than The South (namely anything south of the Midlands).
- The protagonist loves someone, however they are incompatible because they’re professions do not produce optimal babies.
- there is some kind of floating robot helper for our protagonist
- the protagonist is a detective of some kind
- the country is run by “the authorities” which seems to be some kind of computer software, but it’s unclear from what I recall.
Book specific details
- the first book prominently featured a bow and arrow. It’s relevance I don’t know.
- the second book I recall featured some sort of Olympic venue in London, I believe someone drowned while laying foundations for one of the buildings. Something I explicitly remember is the abundance of snakes in London
- the third book I recall predominantly featured ice and something in the far north.