Facts I remember:
- The main character wakes up on a ship on the outer edges of the galaxy as a woman.
- Has been resurrected from DNA, believes they have made a mistake as the only thing he remembers is being a man. They begin a process to change the sex of the main character, which takes a good portion of the book to complete IIRC.
- The main character is an infamous character from the past, believed dead. They wonder if anyone realizes he has been resurrected.
- Enemies from the past attempt to kill the main character and is the main conflict within the first book.
- Some time has passed since the first book, maybe a couple of centuries.
- The main character has become a leader\emperor of a large section of the galaxy.
- The books main conflict revolves around the main character suppressing rebellions and increasing the borders of his domain, ultimately he is betrayed by an ally.
- The main character remembers more of their past and that they were born a woman.
- Returns to being a woman in this book.
Many of these facts could be misremembered, however, the woman to man back to woman swap is a major plot point of the trilogy.
Edit: A couple of things I forgot to mention. I believe there were pretty substantial time lapses between each book. There were relativistic effects of travel between star systems, as in different subjective time passed for characters. I cannot remember if there were any aliens or alien technology in these books.