I'm UK-based, and recall reading and loving a book series in the 1990s about:
- a young male character, and to a lesser extent his family
- who had a robot companion (who I think was referenced in the title)
- who had access to a debit/credit card called a "Junior Credit ID"
There was definitely a futuristic vibe about them, too.
The books are long since gone from my parents' house, and no-one can remember the title or any character names, but apparently one of my homemade "Junior Credit ID" cards has survived.
All help gratefully received!
Edit to answer comment questions:
- I’m not 100%, but I seem to remember reading at least two separate books, since I was excited when I found “the next one” at the library.
- YA rather than pure children’s. I didn’t feel condescended to as an eleven/twelve year-old, and had more adult concepts - that’s probably why the Junior Credit ID still stands out in my memory.
- It wasn’t a picture book. There may have been chapter illustrations, but I’m not certain. For some reason I think the cover illustration was quite cartoony in nature, and I think the robot might have been yellow/gold.
- It’s occurred to me the robot may have had a human name, but as an acronym. Again, I’m not sure if that’s my memory playing tricks!