I'm looking for a science fiction short story I read in a magazine about 20 years ago, with a very similar premise to Dark Star. The story was narrated by a nuclear bomb that was either sentient or an artificial intelligence and described the war they had fought with humanity. Unfortunately, I can't remember many details, but I remember a few things about it:
- The story started with the description of a memorial statue of someone.
- At some point in the story, the bombs had to take refuge on the Moon.
- They needed hydrogen to recharge their batteries.
- They were digging the surface of the Moon with their "telescopes".
- They considered detonation as their ultimate purpose, but were not too keen for it.
I know that these details are vague, but I'm hoping it might ring a bell with someone.