Okay, first up, this series is something I read approximately 20 years ago (late 1990s to early 2000s), so my details may not be 100% accurate. It’s a medieval type fantasy setting.
Here’s what I remember:
- Main character is a boy who finds a magical ring (I think in a well). The ring gives him the ability to ‘seek’ out other rings (I think). I’m pretty sure he was an orphan and possibly indentured? We didn’t know he was the hero of the story at the beginning.
- He meets with a company (at the same time he stumbles upon the ring) of men who are fighting to overthrow evil rulers. They may also have been looking for the rings. They may have met at an inn?
- There are two evil warlords, brothers, who can shapeshift into wolves (black and white). One of the companions kills the white shapeshifter and puts its fur on his shield. The fur enchants his shield so it protects him. I believe he ends up a bearer of a magical ring. I think his name started with D. It was a weird name with another letter directly after the D, like Dh or Df.
- Another ring bearer is granted the ability to heal. His name starts with a R, and is possibly Rafe, or Ralf
- One ring bearer is granted the gift of invisibility. During the series he falls in a magic river and becomes immortal. I think his name started with L (Leith? Leaf?)
- The main character turns out to be the last of a race of good/white/light people. Basically a people who always fight on the side of the light. I think they rode/worked with unicorns? We don’t learn this until the end of the original trilogy, I believe.
- The next series in the same world by the author starts with someone hunting down all the remaining ring bearers years and years later and killing all but the immortal one. I didn’t read beyond that point though. Sorry.
- The first trilogy ends with a face off with the evil Goddess She. Possibly a Goddess of Chaos. The main character sacrifices himself and is frozen in a fountain with her.
- I feel like there was at least 3 books in the initial series. I remember one of the books was purple. I don’t know if they were new at the time of reading as my mother purchased them. They were all in English.
- I’m positive that the the new series starring the immortal (after the trilogy I am looking for) was released around 18-20 years ago. I think it’s blurb even said "after main protagonist sacrifices himself to defeat the goddess She..." I don’t know how many books there were in this series as I stopped reading them.