I remember a friend telling me about this book series a few years ago. I don't know when it was released though.
Things I remember:
- Humans left Earth in space ships to escape an alien race that was coming to destroy them because of their technological advances.
- The humans colonize a new planet and ban technology so the aliens won't come destroy them.
- There is a robot like thing that eventually becomes "Merlin" in the book series. This was a technology back on the original Earth that people could transfer their consciousness into temporary to go do things like extreme sports and the like.
- The word "Storm" maybe in the name? Not sure on this one...
- Some of the people that originally left Earth became "angels" to the people on the new planet. I think maybe memory erasing may have been a thing here.
- At one point someone detonates a nuke destroying most of these "angels" and their ships. Pocket nuke? Or a briefcase maybe.
- There is a church that, in the "modern day" which I think is thousands of years after the fleeing from aliens, hardcore goes against people that are inventing technology. Think Spanish Inquisition.
I haven't actually read the book so I'm not sure if these are correct.