I have read this short science fiction story in the early 90's and am trying to find the author and the title. I hope someone can help me based on the outline of the plot:
- Aliens land on Earth and make contact with humans.
- They start giving away technology that leads to dramatic technological gains.
- One day the protagonist takes the aliens on a duck hunt.
- Before shooting he scares ducks so he can shoot them in flight.
- Aliens ask him why did he not shoot them while they were on the ground.
- The protagonist responds that we humans like a challenge and shooting sitting ducks would have been too easy.
- Aliens respond: it looks like we are just like you...
Since it has been about 25 years since I read this story and I read its Russian translation, there may be some inaccuracies, but hopefully for someone who has read this story, the plot would sound familiar.