In DC's Justice League, Wonder Woman (Diana Prince) explains to Bruce Wayne the origins of the Mother Boxes and Steppenwolf.
So Steppenwolf has come before and has been beaten before. But, I am curious to why Superman almost single handedly beat him. Up until Superman turned up, the other members were almost beaten and everything that contributed to the other members of Justice League inflicting any damage to Steppenwolf was directly due to Superman first doing something to weaken him or put Steppenwolf in a compromising position.
So in the first Invasion of Earth that Diana talks about, these are some quick points that led to Earths victory.
- The Amazonians (who were created by Zeus), Atlanteans and all the Tribes of men formed their own unity
- Allies from other worlds, including members from what looks like the Green Lantern Corps
- The Greek gods themselves — Zeus, Ares, and Artemis — came and fought the battle
- They all combined and joined forces to fight as one to overcome Steppenwolf
In the fight against Steppenwolf involving the Justice League, these are some quick points that led to Earths victory again.
- They had Diana Prince who has powers given to her by the Gods
- Aquaman who has superhuman strength
- Barry Allen AKA The Flash
- Cyborg with powers given to him by the Mother box
- Batman, has advanced aids to help him fight well above normal human capabilities
- Superman, no explanation needed.
- All came together and fought to overcome Steppenwolf
And from the resurrection scene of Superman,
We see that the other 5 members of the Justice League have no chance against Superman; in fact, it was only Wonder Women who was able to slow him down a little bit and as stated before, she has powers given to her by the gods. But, no-one was even close to being able to stop Superman and from this I concluded that he is way more powerful than any of the Justice League.
So, from that, I was beginning to wonder that, if the Justice League and more importantly, Superman overcame and defeated Steppenwolf with what looked like much more ease in the Second Invasion, then what power was required to defeat him in the First Invasion?
In the First Invasion there where dozens or more of the Amazonians, Atlanteans and tribes of men, plus help from many other aliens such as Green Lantern Corps and some of the Gods who also took up the fight. However, it just took 4 meta-humans, one special human (Batman) and Superman to defeat him as opposed to an army Gods, meta-humans, aliens and humans.
That being said, there needs to be something said about the differences between the first fight to overthrow Steppenwolf and the second fight.
- Looks like the Mother Box unity was complete, so Steppenwolf could possibly have been much stronger at this point.
- Steppenwolf's army of Parademons seemed to be much bigger
- There were also other beings there to help him that I can't find anything about.
Second fight (Justice League)
- Steppenwolf's army of Parademons seemed to be much smaller in size
I am not entirely sure that the unity was completed and therefore may have rendered Steppenwolf without his full strength. But there is a scene (shown below) where it does look like the transformation has started like in the first invasion and in fact the unity is complete.
There were no other beings there with him to help fight, it seemed like a smaller scale invasion this time around.
So considering all that, was Superman actually more powerful than the Gods?
Or was it just that Steppenwolf was not as powerful as when they first battled him?